|NOTE: This DOES NOT contain lactose, it is safe for lactose intolerant.
GDL is a natural constituent of many foods. It can be found in honey, fruit juices, wine and many fermented products. Glucono delta-lactone (GDL) is used as a sequestrant, acidifier, curing, pickling, or leavening agent (2.2:1 with baking soda).
• Leavening agent (when used with Baking Soda)
Use 1 teaspoon of GDL with 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) per cup (140g) of flour to make it "self raising".
1 teaspoon of GDL + 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate is equivalent to 2 teaspoons of regular baking powder.
• Can be used as replacement of tartaric acid (cream of tartar)
• Better taste of the baked good
• Lighter crumb
• Sodium free
• Aluminium free
• Gluten free
• Lactose free
In cheese making:
• Often used in the manufacture of direct-set cottage cheese
• Pre-acidifying milk for cheese making
• Lowering the pH of the food product
To make tofu fah/silken (douhua/tau foo fa/tau huay), mix 1 teaspoon of GdL with 1 quart of warm soymilk. It will set in about 1 hour.
In salamis/sausages (salami improver):
• shorter ripening process
• significant reduction of risk of bacteria contamination
• extended shelf life of the finished product
• reduced necessity for large amounts of nitrite
• Improves firmness and cutting ability of the meat
• Improves colour stability
Can be added to semi dried sausages like, Kransky, Chorizo & Summer sausage to give them that tangy continental flavour, increase the lasting power of the sausages and improve the cutting texture.
The use of GDL has become very popular in Europe where it has been found to be a valuable adjunct to "Old World" processing techniques for semi dried and air dried sausage.Using GDL (Glucono Delta Lactone) means the pH can be lowered directly in the sausage emulsion reducing the development of pathogens and potential spoilage at the same time as speeding up the process reducing the required drying time.
Dissolve the required quantity of GDL (ie: 5g per 1kg for a casing size of 40-60) in water and add to your standard recipe (can be used with any recipe for dried or semi dried sausages).
This product is: Wheat-free, Gluten-free